Tuesday, May 16, 2006

New Reads

Now that I'm through with formal studies, let the freedom of reading begin! I have posted three new books under my "Reads" column. Two by Richard Flordia, professor from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. Florida has makes a convincing case for an emerging sociological and economic class alongside the traditional working and service classes called the Creative Class. He considers the impact, both negative and positive, of hte Creative class. For instance, the creative class, determined by a creative index which is explained in the book, often exacerbates economic inequality while stimulating economic development in its major geographical centers. Those at the top of the geographical centers of creativity include D.C., Boston, Minneapolis, and Austin.

On a more entertainin note, I recommend Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin. Atwood is a master storyteller, developing multiple plots that interweave, create suspense, and intrigue. Incisive, well-placed cultural criticism is scattered throughout her writings. The Blind Assassin is no exception. So far, so good!

Let me know if you have read or start reading. I'd love to hear what you think!

2 Comments:

At 7:18 AM , Blogger Liz said...

I read both Richard Florida's books :"the rise of the creative class" and the last one: "the flight of the creative class"


It's an instersting way to consider areas through different approach and I also agree with some of his theories.

I personally enjoyed more the second one book (the flight of...) because it refers not only to Usa but also to other countries (e.g. New zealand) and areas...

 
At 3:08 PM , Blogger Dave said...

i plan to get to that point some time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home